East Essex Smallholders Chitchat Headline Animator

CONTACT EESG

To Contact EESG
Please Email:
Danielle.Perkins@yahoo.co.uk
or 07854595640

Thursday 5 April 2012

Maldon and Burnham report

Planning row lands Mark in hot water with council

9:00am Sunday 1st April 2012 in Countywide By James Calnan

A FARMER says Colchester Council is scuppering his attempts to help the environment by stopping him collecting rainwater.

Mark Spenner, 39, inherited five acres of land off Grange Road, Tiptree, and set up a smallholding with pigs, sheep and chickens.

He has already dotted seven 1.5m-wide water tanks around his field to collect rain and has started to build a barn.

A retrospective planning permission has been rejected by Colchester Council.

Mr Spenner, from Rivenhall, said with a hosepipe ban imminent he did not know how he would water the trees and hedges he recently planted.


He said: “I’m not an eco-warrior, but I do like to do my bit for the environment and that’s why I have planted so many trees.

“I was advised by the nursery to give them a minimum of two litres of water a day “I thought about harvesting the rainwater to see if I could collect enough over the winter to see me through the summer, or at least soften the blow.

“Now I’ve been refused planning permission, and one of the stipulations is I’ve got to get rid of these water harvesting tanks.

“I don’t know where I stand with the hosepipe ban. How am I going to water the trees?

“I’ve got the land and I’m being denied use of it by Colchester Council.”

Mr Spenner’s land is a stone’s throw away from Colchester United’s forthcoming training complex, which was controversially given planning permission in 2010 at the third time of asking.

He had built the skeleton of the barn next to his stables but was ordered to stop and apply for planning permission. He plans to appeal against the decision.